Progress is bleeping slow, that’s all I can say. Having a day job and trying to get an art project done right now seem to me to be mutually exclusive occupations.
Tonight I finished all the “couching”, which is sewing down yarn around the unfinished edges of reverse applique.
Here’s a reverse applique with unfinished edges:
And here it is with yarn sewn down around the edges:
On the back, you can see the bobbin thread on the tear-away stabilizer; I used sheer polyester thread for the topstich. Polyester is the good invisible thread; nylon is the bad invisible thread (it turns yellow over time).
I then tore away the stabilizer, as the name of the product suggests; all of the layers of the quilt top are quite evident here:
Voila: here it is, everything is DONE except now placing the appliques, which I’ll do over the next few weeks, and hopefully get started quilting this thing by Thanksgiving. There will be about 5 desert poppy appliques placed on top of this design when it’s done: