I dyed some more yarn and organized it in an old condiment storage bin from my parent’s restaurant; here’s the yarn with the recent glue-resist project of prickly pear cactus:
Here, I put tearaway stabilizer on the back of the prickly pear, and outlined the pink fruit shapes so I could see them; then I simply sewed over the line I’d drawn around the fruit…..
…knowing that my bobbin thread underneath was actually yarn. It’s a silk/cotton yarn, so it’s fingerling weight, but I doubt I could get anything heavier in the bobbin case. I have an extra bobbin case; I’ve adjusted the tension on it (very simple turn of the tiny screw with a tiny screw driver) and I use it for this technique called “bobbin drawing”.
So, while there’s just a simple thread outline of the fruit on the back of the piece, the bobbin thread–the yarn–is on the front.
I’ll bobbin-draw all the fruit, then couch yarn around the cactus shapes.